On March 11, 2011 at 14.46 (local time), a magnitude 8.9 earthquake struck 81 miles (130km) east of Sendai, the capital of Miyagi prefecture (Japan), followed by a 13 foot tsunami. It is with great concern we are seeing the images from Japan. The scene of the devastation is quite amazing. It will be a while for all of us to get a full sense of the disaster and its impact. Microsoft has activated its disaster response protocol to monitor the situation in Japan and other areas on tsunami warning alert, and offer support as appropriate. We are taking a number of steps, including ensuring the safety of our employees and their families and assessing all of our facilities for any impact.
Ways to Help:
Several organizations are offering support to help victims of the Japan Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami relief. Here are a few ways you can help:
- The American Red Cross is accepting donations for Japan Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami
relief. Individuals can also text 'REDCROSS' to 90999 to donate $10 from their mobile phone.
- Save the Children is responding to the needs of children and families affected by the earthquake and its aftermath. Donations can be made to Save the Children’s Japan Earthquake Tsunami Children in Emergency Fund.
- International Medical Corps is responding to the health needs of the disaster's victims.
- World Vision has announced mobilization in response to the earthquake and tsunami.
- NetHope, a collaboration of the world’s leading humanitarian response organizations
is mobilizing efforts to support aid agencies responding in the region.
- Mercy Corps is working with its partner Charity Peace Winds Japan to accept donations.
- AidMatrix is working with its partners to connect resources and materiel for various response efforts. Needs for In-Kind and Transportation donations are being assess and will be posted to
the AidMatrix network as they become available.
News and Resources:
- Search Bing for the latest quake information
- Get the latest news from MSNBC
- See updated images
- Watch related videos
- Get breaking news on Twitter